We will see here how to configure the Windows 2013 server step by step.
After restarting our machine, we can see the new boot menu selection.
On select the Windows 2012 Server trial option, wizard will guide us to configure the server.
Note: Please remember to back up the VHD for each successful completion of software installations. . If we did any mistake in the installation process, we can simply restore the VHD file from backup and continue the steps instead of starting from scratch.
For other posts on this series
- Overview of the native bootable VHD and list of required software
- Create a native bootable virtual hard drive, installing windows server 2012 and configure boot menu
- Enabling desktop features in windows server 2012
- SQL Server installation using slipstream mode, create the SP1 slipstream into SharePoint 2013 and single shot installation
- Create a master native bootable VHD using sysprep method
- Configuring Active Directory and Domain Services, SQL Server 2012 and SharePoint 2013
Customizing the Windows Server 2012 for Development Environment
By default, we cannot use our Windows Server as our Windows 7 or 8 OS. We will see how to change the server for that.
- Click the Server Manager Menu icon in the left corner in the task bar, navigate to Manage and Server Manager Properties menu item and please do the following changes. This will increase our server performance.
2. Again go to the Server Manager, select the Local server in the left navigation, in the properties window, and click the Computer name for giving a meaningful machine name.
3. It will ask us to restart the machine, and select the Restart later button.
4. Again go to the Server manager, and navigate to Local Server Click the IE Enhancement Security Configuration, and to the following changes
5. Like that, change your time zone.
6. In the same location, click the Windows Firewall, and click Turn Windows Firewall on or off in the left navigation and do the following changes,
7. Now restart the server.
8. After restarting the server, revisit the previous steps and make sure all the changes are happened as we expected.
9. Navigate to the Server Manager, and select the Dashboard in the left navigation and click the Add roles and features under the Configure this local server section.
10. In the Wizard, Select Installation Type as Role-based or feature-based installation
11. In the Server Selection tab, continue with default values, and skip the Server Roles tab now.
12. In the Features tab, do the following selection and click the Next and install the selected features.
13. After successful installation, restart your server.
14. Now the server is ready and you can able to connect your server with WIFI.
15. In the Task bar, we can see the notification alert Turn on Windows SmartScreen, select warn before running on unrecognized app option.
In the next post, we will install the SQL server using PreparedImage option.